Do you want to take care of your cat’s health and would like to do it naturally? Every now and then our feline friends seem a bit groggy, perhaps they are hatching some disease or are simply in a state of imbalance.
And you would like to find the best way to give him back the desire to play and jump.
We are naturally inclined to take care of our pets, who keep us so much company and give us so much joy without asking anything in return. Natural remedies are certainly the best to turn to and, in particular, an increasingly popular product is CBD.
From anxiety to pain management, CBD in oil form could offer several applications to improve your cat’s quality of life.
However, finding the right product is crucial.
Don’t worry if you don’t know your way around, we will review together the key factors to consider when selecting a CBD oil, including recommended doses, product quality and user testimonials.
We will also learn about the varieties of CBD oils available on the market and how they can influence your cat’s general wellbeing.
Ready to find the best CBD oil for cats? Read on for essential information that will help you make informed decisions for your feline’s health.
CBD Oil 5% for Cats£19.99
How does CBD work on cats?
CBD for pets does not work all that differently from CBD for humans, although it is important to distinguish them because we are not talking about exactly the same product.
Similarities include the fact that it interacts with the endocannabinoid system (SEC) also present in cats, a complex biological system involved in the regulation of many physiological functions. The SEC comprises cannabinoid receptors, enzymes and signalling molecules that work together to maintain homeostasis, or balance, in the body.
When CBD is administered to cats, it mainly binds to CB1 and CB2 receptors in their ESA. These receptors are distributed throughout the body, in the brain, central nervous system and immune system.
Their activation can influence various physiological processes from which the benefits of CBD for pets are derived:
- Anxiety reduction: important in situations such as travel or veterinary visits;
- Pain management: can act as a natural analgesic, helping to manage pain associated with conditions such as arthritis or other health problems;
- Anti-inflammatory properties: useful for inflammation due to trauma or joint problems;
- Improvement of appetite: interesting for those who may suffer from eating disorders or loss of hunger.
The best CBD oil for cats is the one designed especially for felines because, unlike human CBD, it contains no THC or terpenes.
How to give CBD to the cat?
But we are also talking about practical problems because all feline owners know how difficult it is to give them medication.
Giving CBD oil to your cat requires a gentle and patient approach. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
- Product choice: be sure to buy CBD oil specifically formulated for cats, with an appropriate concentration;
- Determining the dose: follow a dosage guide for CBD oil for animals or, to be on the safe side, consult your vet to determine the correct dose based on the animal’s weight and specific needs;
- Preparing the oil: use the dropper pipette to accurately measure the desired amount of oil;
- Administration: Some cats are cooperative enough to allow the oil to be deposited directly on their tongue (in this case, gently lift the cat’s head and use the dropper to drop the oil on the back of the mouth), otherwise add CBD oil to the usual food;
- Monitor the reaction: After administering the oil, carefully observe your cat’s behaviour and if you notice any adverse reactions, contact your vet immediately;
- Regularity: maintain consistency in the administration of CBD oil.
Remember that each cat is an individual and may react differently to CBD, so it is important to observe your pet’s habits to notice any changes for the better or worse.
How many drops of CBD to give the cat?
The amount of CBD oil drops for the cat depends on several factors, including the cat’s weight, the CBD oil concentration and the treatment objective (e.g. pain management, anxiety reduction, etc.).
CBD doses for cats tend to be relatively low compared to those for dogs or humans. In general, CBD doses for cats are expressed in milligrams (mg) and vary according to weight. For example, a starting dose might be in the range of 0.2 to 0.5 mg CBD per kilogram of body weight.
To calculate the number of drops, it is important to know the concentration of the CBD oil you are using. If, for example, CBD oil has a concentration of 10 mg/ml and your vet has recommended a dose of 0.2 mg/kg, you can do the following calculation:
Dose in mg = cat weight in kg x recommended dose in mg/kg
So if your cat weighs 4 kg and the recommended dose is 0.2 mg/kg:
Dose in mg = 4 kg x 0.2 mg/kg = 0.8 mg
Next, convert the dose to drops, knowing that the oil has a concentration of 10 mg/ml:
Number of drops = Dose in mg / Oil concentration in mg/ml
Thus, number of drops = 0.8 mg / 10 mg/ml = 0.08 ml
Converting ml to drops (considering that 1 ml is about 20 drops), you would obtain about 1.6 drops.
Keep in mind that these are only estimates and that accuracy is crucial. Always consult your vet for personalised advice on the most appropriate dose for your cat.
CBD Oil 5% for Cats£19.99
How long does it take to take effect?
The time it takes for CBD oil to take effect on a cat can vary greatly depending on several factors, including the form of administration, the health condition of the cat and the dose administered.
Here are some general considerations to take into account when finding the best CBD oil for cats:
- Administration: When administered directly into the mouth or mixed with food, CBD oil may take 30 minutes to an hour to start taking effect; if, on the other hand, CBD oil is applied to the skin or absorbed through the gums, the effect may occur more quickly, but the duration may be shorter;
- Cat’s health condition: If CBD is administered to manage anxiety, you may notice behavioural changes in a shorter period than if it is used for chronic pain problems;
- Dose and frequency: in some cases, a trial period of several days or weeks may be necessary to fully assess the effectiveness of the treatment;
- Individual reactivity: some cats may react quickly, while others may take longer.
In general, it is advisable to start with low doses of CBD and monitor your cat closely for any changes. If you do not observe any improvement or if you notice unwanted side effects, consult your vet immediately.
How to choose the best CBD oil for your cat?
At this point, we need to figure out how to find the best CBD oil on the market. Here are some key points to consider when choosing CBD oil for your cat:
- Consult your vet: he/she will be able to advise you on the right dose and give you specific recommendations based on your animal’s needs;
- Origin of CBD: make sure the CBD oil is derived from light cannabis without THC, the psychoactive component of the plant;
- Third-party testing: these objective tests ensure that the oil contains the stated amount of CBD and is free of harmful contaminants such as pesticides or heavy metals;
- CBD concentration: labels should indicate the amount of CBD in milligrams (mg) per millilitre (ml), start with low concentration products and gradually increase if necessary;
- Extraction method: a safe and innovative method is with supercritical CO2, avoiding products that use aggressive chemical solvents;
- Additional ingredients: choose products with natural ingredients and avoid those with artificial additives, colourings or flavourings that could be harmful to your cat;
- User reviews: the experiences of others can give you an indication of the quality and effectiveness of the product;
- Clear labelling: look for products with clear labelling indicating the CBD concentration, instructions for administration and the manufacturer’s contact information;
- Price: price alone should not be the main decision factor, but look for fair value for money.
In your search for the best CBD oil for cats, you may find it useful to explore Maria CBD Oil‘s store, with a selection of products carefully formulated for the health and well-being of animals.Visit our shop to discover safe, tested and reliable options that could make all the difference in your four-legged friend’s life.